We hear this term often: MINDSET
But what does it really mean? Dictionary.com defines it as: “the established set of attitudes held by someone.” Verywellmind.com takes it further and explains “mindset” to be “a set of beliefs that shape how you make sense of the world and yourself. It influences how you think, feel, and behave in any given situation.”
I think it’s safe to say that one’s mindset is one’s belief system.
Our beliefs show up in all areas of our lives, and what better topic to explore our belief system than the topic of Money? Why? Because it’s loaded. There are so many cultural concepts around money, and it’s up to you to decide which beliefs and attitudes you’d like to adopt and call truth, and which ones are absolutely not serving you.
Here are a few MONEY BELIEFS that circulate in our culture:
- Money doesn’t grow on trees.
- Who do I look like, Rockefeller?
- Money provides opportunities.
- Blessed are the poor.
- Making money is fun.
- Time is money.
- Rich people are superficial/cheats/not spiritual.
- It’s tacky to talk about money.
- No matter how much money I make, I feel broke.
- I don’t know where the money goes.
- Your eyes are bigger than your pockets.
- Money is freedom.
- It’s not easy to save money.
- I’m not an ATM.
- Make lots of money so you don’t have to depend on others.
- I love money.
- A girl’s gotta eat.
- There’s money available to all.
- Money is a finite resource.
- Money comes to me easily.
- I don’t really have to worry about money.
- I have a good handle on money.
- It doesn’t matter how much money I get, I spend every penny.
- I never have enough money.
- I have to work really hard for money.
- I’m not good at earning money.
- Rich people have a lot of problems.
- Do something you love, and the money will come.
- Artists don’t make much money.
- Running a business is hard.
- I feel guilty for having money when others don’t.
- It’s not my money so I can’t do what I want with it.
- Money is sexy.
- You gotta have money to be happy.
- …and more!
Did you hear any of these concepts growing up? Which ones are you subscribing to now? Can you see how certain beliefs can absolutely block a healthy relationship with money?! Even if it’s “true,” that doesn’t mean you should subscribe to it. For example, sure, money doesn’t literally grow on trees, but how would repeating that saying over and over again affect the way operate when it comes to your finances?
Feng Shui can reveal to us our belief systems in amazing ways. And once our belief systems are revealed to us, we can become more conscious around what we think and feel about certain aspects of our lives in order to have more control and influence.
One way to get a glimpse into your psyche when it comes to money is to check out the Money/Prosperity/Opportunity area of your space. This is generally the back left section of your home if it was divided into 9 equal sections, like a tic-tac-toe board. If you’re standing at your front door, what’s in the back left? Is it your kitchen? Your bedroom? A mudroom? Or a cluttered closet? A bathroom with the broken toilet? Or the basement entrance with the door that always seems stuck? Now, look at it symbolically. Does this space represent “having enough?” Does it represent “luxury”? Or does it feel clogged or lacking in some way? Are there items there that you don’t love or use? Or does the room feel comfortable and inviting, clean and fresh?
There are so many ways that money beliefs can show up in a space. The bagua is just one place where I look when I’m consulting for money blockages! To learn more about Feng Shui & Money, consider taking the Feng Shui & the Energetics of Money eCourse the next time I’m offering it for a thorough look at your own personal mindset as well as to receive dozens of Feng Shui tips to course-correct your money beliefs towards empowerment and freedom, all while learning about Feng Shui.
The basic notion is this: When you put some love and attention into your space, (i.e. freshening up the tired spots or decluttering the clogged areas), your Money mindset will naturally improve, via intention and awareness. Enjoy the process and the prosperity that springs from it!